“We love Him because He first loved us.” 1 John 4:19
I used to be pretty defensive when somebody would say that there are more awful things done in the name of religion than anything else. But now, I tend to agree – and I think Jesus would agree, as well. The reality is that many problems and evils have occurred in the name of “religion.”
Jesus wasn’t afraid to call out “religion” for getting in the way of people actually getting to know God. So, what can we learn from Jesus about what religion should NOT be about:
- Religion that puts ceremonial law before the needs of man.
- When good people are accused of evil because legalism is confused with Godliness.
- Religion that seems to hurt more than help.
- Religion that causes people to be hardhearted towards Jesus and the needs of others.
- Religion that plots to kill versus save, that’s motivated by hate, guilt, and casting judgement rather than love.
Jesus came to save us from sin and a religion that distorts Truth. You see, Christianity is not about a religion, it’s about a relationship with God. And through Christ, we can learn more and more about that relationship and discover the answer to life.