“Study and be eager and do your utmost to present yourself to God approved (tested by trial), a workman who has no cause to be ashamed, correctly analyzing and accurately dividing [rightly handling and skillfully teaching] the Word of Truth.”
2 Timothy 2:15
Yesterday, we focused on WHERE to start studying the Bible. Today, we’ll focus on HOW to study the Bible.
1. Find a modern translation of Scripture. The message is unchanged, but the everyday language used will help you you better understand that message.
2. Start with Jesus and take a look at His life through one of the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke or John). Ask God to help you discover Jesus for who He really is.
3. Read a few verses a day, while asking yourself a few questions:
- What does this passage say about Jesus or God the Father?
- What does this passage say about mankind?
- How can I apply the key message of these verses to my life?
- What’s one thing I can do differently because of what I’ve learned?
4. Study Scripture in light of Scripture: One verse in light of the chapter; the chapter in light of the book; the Old Testament in light of the New Testament.
5. Finally, join others in Bible study with a knowledgeable teacher.
Why study the Bible? It’s not just for spiritual knowledge. It’s to get to know WHO God is and to have a closer relationship with Him.
Any other reason is missing the point. Don’t wait. Start today.