David was anointed the next king of Israel not because of his qualifications or his “look,” but because God saw in him an inner character and strength. God saw David’s heart. In fact, in studying David’s life, it’s clear that David actually foreshadowed Jesus Christ. Think about it:
- Home Town: Both David and Jesus were born in Bethlehem.
- Shepherds: David and Jesus both understood the life of a shepherd. David was an actual shepherd growing up, while Jesus described Himself as the “Good Shepherd” (John 10) who cares for, protects and leads us, His followers – His sheep.
- Anointed: David was anointed by the Holy Spirit when the prophet Samuel anointed him as the next king of Israel. When Jesus was baptized, the Holy Spirit came upon Him in a powerful, supernatural anointing.
- Wilderness: Both Jesus and David were familiar with time in the wilderness. David spent many years between his anointing as king and ruling as king, hiding from Saul in the wilderness. After Jesus’ baptism, Jesus too spent time in the wilderness before starting His ministry.
- Victorious: Both men triumphed over great evil with David eventually beginning the royal lineage of Israel in Jerusalem. Jesus was born into the line of David and promises to one-day reign from the throne of David over not just Israel but all the Earth.
David gives us a foreshadowing of the ultimate man to follow and to model our lives after and this man is Jesus.