â€œWe love Him because He first loved us.â€ – 1 John 4:19
One of the common objections to Christianity is that religion has caused more problems and more wars than anything else. I used to be pretty defensive when somebody said that but now, I tend to agree and I think Jesus would agree as well. Lots of problems have occurred because so much of religion stinks. Letâ€™s think about what we can learn from Jesus about times when religion does stink:
- When to puts ceremonial law before the needs of man;
- When good people are accused of evil because legalism is confused with Godliness;
- When religion seeks to hurt more than help;
- When religion causes man to be hardhearted towards Jesus and the needs of others;
- When religion plots to kill versus save, motivated by hate more than love.
Jesus came to save us from sin and religion that stinks. You see, Christianity is not about a religion, itâ€™s about a relationship with God. And through Christ, we can learn of that relationship and discover the answer to life.