“How blessed is the man who finds wisdom, and the man who gains understanding.” – Proverbs 3:13
Are you on the road to financial security? Let me suggest a few goals to strive for in seeking personal financial security:
- You need to know what you make, and if you’re on commission, estimate conservatively what it’ll be.
- Spend less than you earn. I know it seems so obvious, but it is so overlooked that it has to be mentioned.
- Have a personal or family budget. Budgets help us prioritize and meet our goals.
In developing that budget, focus on four major categories:
- A goal for giving
- An estimated amount for taxes;
- A goal for savings and investments;
- Figure up your fixed expenses, such as car, house, groceries, etc.
Finally, what’s left is discretionary income and you will want to set goals in this area. It includes such items as clothing, furniture, vacation, and entertainment.
From where does all this practical insight come? It’s based on principles right out of the Bible. You’ll be amazed that, when you look to Scripture, you’ll find the keys to financial security.