“God created man in His own image. In the image of God, He created him, male and female, He created them. God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground.” – Genesis 1:27-28
When a team – an organization – a mission – gets off track, it’s time to focus on the basics. With marriages and families under attack, perhaps this would be a great time to look at the basics of marriage. Specifically, why did God create marriage in the first place?
1. God created marriage for procreation. (Genesis 1:28)
2. Man is to be in partnership with his wife in managing the earth, in practicing good conservation, and in caring for the environment. (Genesis 1:28)
3. Marriage is for companionship. (Genesis 2:18)
4. Marriage is for mutual sexual pleasure. The Bible is very clear that when a man and woman are married, their bodies are no longer just under the ownership of themselves, but is for the joy of their mate. (Genesis 2:24 and I Corinthians 7:2-5)
5. Marriage is about the highest ideal of human relationships – an exclusive commitment for life that reflects Christ’s commitment to His church. (Ephesians 5:22-33)
This is Marriage 101:the simple basics of a championship marriage.