“But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; He will speak only what He hears, and He will tell you what is yet to come.” – John 16:13
When you’re in a serious relationship, don’t overlook the importance of praying for God’s will, letting the Holy Spirit guide and direct you. Here are a few practical questions to consider as you pray and seek God’s will for this important decision in your life.
- Is she/he my best friend?
- Do we have similar beliefs and values? Does s/he help me grow closer to God? Are we unified on church and how we will grow spiritually together?
- How do my family and friends feel about the relationship?
- Am I willing – eager – to make a lifetime commitment?
- Do I want this person to be a parent to my children? Do we agree on child raising and how careers will be dealt with?
- Does s/he have some unacceptable habits that I think I’ll be able to change someday? (Believe me, you won’t!)
- At the same time, do I recognize and accept his/her flaws and idiosyncrasies? (If not, it’s not real love, it’s infatuation.)
If you haven’t been able to confidently answer these questions in a way to indicate that you’ve chosen the right mate, maybe you need to slow down and give the relationship more time. Maybe you’re headed toward choosing second best, rather than God’s best for your life, and you need to back off. Spend more time in prayer, asking God to reveal His plan for you.