“…with all prayer and supplication praying at all seasons in the Spirit, and watching thereunto in all perseverance and supplication for all the saints,” – Ephesians 6:18
Most all of us feel the need to pray, but we often are uncertain how to do it right. Sometimes we’re stumped and have trouble getting past Now I lay me down to sleep… Jesus helped us with this by giving us a model, usually referred to as “The Lord’s Prayer.” His primary intention was not to have us recite it but to help us know how to pray and what to focus on when we pray. It was given to teach us how to talk with God – which is really what prayer is all about.
What does it specifically teach us?
1. We can know God as a father.
2. We need to take time to praise Him.
3. We are to pray for His will and blessings on His church.
4. We want to pray for others while also asking God to meet our daily needs.
5. We want to ask God to forgive our sins and help us forgive others who have wronged us.
6. And we want to ask for God’s strength and power in resisting the temptations of the evil one.
Now that’s a lot to be accomplished with a prayer, but there is actually so much more! You can enrich your prayer life by studying the prayer Jesus taught us. The God who created the universe wants to talk with you. The Lord’s Prayer, which is really a disciple’s prayer, is Jesus’ model for us all.