“Do not be bound together with unbelievers.” – 2 Corinthians 6:14
When it comes to finding the right mate, one of Hollywood’s more famous philosophers comes to mind. He says, “Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re going to get.”
Amazingly, many approach finding a mate with the Forrest Gump philosophy. But finding the right mate is a biggie! Let me suggest a few thoughts:
* Are you compatible? Do you have similar backgrounds when it comes to faith, education, socio-economics, and interests? Does your giftedness complement your mate?
* Is this person your best friend? If not, you haven’t found the right one.
* Do friends and family who know you well affirm the choice?
* Are you excited about spending the rest of your life with this person, no matter what?
* Finally, are you aware of their shortcomings and do you still love them anyway?
If all your answers are “yes,” you might have found the right one. If not, you may want to slow down or even call it off. But remember, most of all, seek God’s will. He knows you best and knows what is best for you.