“We love Him because He first loved us.” – 1 John 4:19 NIV
You know something? There are more awful things done in the name of religion than in anything else. I used to be pretty defensive when somebody said that but now, I tend to agree and I think Jesus would agree as well. Lots of problems have occurred because, in reality, much of religion stinks. Let’s think about what we can learn from Jesus about times when religion stinks:
- When religion puts ceremonial law before the needs of man;
- When good people are accused of evil because legalism is confused with Godliness;
- When religion seeks to hurt more than help;
- When religion causes man to be hardhearted towards Jesus and the needs of others;
- When religion plots to kill versus save, motivated by hate more than love.
Jesus came to save us from sin and a religion that stinks. You see, Christianity is not about a religion, it’s about a relationship with God. And through Christ, we can learn of that relationship and discover the answer to life.