When it comes to finding the right mate, one of Hollywood’s more famous “philosophers” comes to mind. His momma always said, “Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re going to get.”
Amazingly, many approach finding a mate with the Forrest Gump philosophy. But, finding the right mate is a a much bigger task than that! Let me suggest a few thoughts:
- Are you compatible? Do you have similar backgrounds when it comes to faith (a big one), education, socio-economics, and interests? Does your giftedness complement your mate?
- Can this person be your best friend? If not, you haven’t found the right one.
- Do friends and family who know you well affirm the choice?
- Are you excited about spending time with this person – possibly spending the rest of your life with this person, no matter what?
- Finally, are you aware of their shortcomings and do you still love them anyway?
If all your answers are “yes,” you might have just found the right one, so hang on tight! If not, you may want to slow down or even call it off. But remember, most of all, seek God’s will. He knows you best and knows what is best for you.