If you’ve been in the church a while, you may not feel there’s anything new that you can hear about agape love because you’ve heard so much about it throughout your life. But the passage from 1John really does give some fresh insight about this important character trait of a Christian. Here are some of those traits about this important Christian concept of love:
1. God is the source.
2. Agape love is a sign that we’re born of God or that we know God.
3. It is best seen through the love of God in Jesus Christ.
4. It takes the initiative.
5. Agape is a self-sacrificing love.
6. When received, we’re to pass it on.
7. It allows us to see the invisible God.
8. It is God’s love in perfection.
There’s a lot more to the concept than you thought, isn’t there? Use this list as a starting point in understanding the remarkable depth of agape love. And ask God to help you demonstrate it to everyone you meet.