Should you tithe? I suppose you can easily guess how I will answer that question, but let me give you five good reasons to support my response.
- God has always chosen the tithe as a way for people to show their faith in Him. Hundreds of years before the Law of Moses, Abraham and Jacob both tithed. The tithe has always been God’s starting point for basic faithfulness in giving.
- The tithe acknowledges God’s ownership of all we have. When we tithe, we’re saying, “He’s entrusted all this to me, but this is the owner’s fee.” This is a basic expectation. It’s not an offering. But the tithe is the basic acknowledgment of God’s ownership.
- It shows we trust God. The only time in Scripture God says for us to test Him is with the tithe!
- It shows God we put Him first. Bring the tithe first to the Lord and see how God will bless you in the process of getting that priority right.
- Tithing just naturally forces better stewardship. If you know that you’re going to have to live on 90% or less, it forces you to be a better steward of the resources God has entrusted to you.
If you are tithing to your local church (the place where you worship and serve), keep it up. If you are not tithing, why don’t you put God to the test and see if His promises are true?