People often ask me who they should vote for. As a citizen, you can sure bet I have my opinions and I would love to be able to shout my choices from the pulpit! Yet, early in my ministry, I decided it was best I not push or endorse candidates, because sharing the Good News of Christ to both Republicans and Democrats, and all ideological views, is far more important than that.
But, I do want to give you some thoughts as to how you can select candidates whose opinions and decisions will reflect your Christian beliefs.
1. Pray that you will select leaders who will be in tune with God. A leader who doesn’t walk with God can lead the people out of the will of God – a disaster to people of faith!
2. Are they competent and qualified? It’s great if my doctor, my pilot, my government leader are Christians, but I want them to be competent and qualified.
3. Where do they stand on moral issues of the day that the Bible addresses? We don’t have a theocracy, but a democracy, so their stance on key moral issues is the key. I love Abe Lincoln’s word in picking the right candidate. He said, “My concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God’s side.”
4. Are they trustworthy? Do their actions back up their words? Do they have integrity?
5. Do they focus on what’s best for the people they represent, versus what is best for their political future?
6. Most of all, pray for God’s wisdom on how to vote; and be a good Christian and a good citizen by voting – always!