Several years ago, there was a successful movie entitled What Women Want starring actor, Mel Gibson. After an accident, this chauvinistic executive gains the ability to hear what women are really thinking. The movie proceeds to show him that what women really want is to be loved, noticed and feel secure. Strangely enough, it was not terribly far from the truth.
Dr. James Dobson was asked, “Why are men so insensitive to women’s needs today?”
He answered, “I question whether men have really changed all that much. I doubt if men ever responded as women preferred. Did the farmer of a century ago come in from the fields to say, ‘Tell me how it went with the kids today?’ No. He was as oblivious to his wife’s nature then as husbands are today.”
So, men, if you’re struggling to meet your wife’s needs, the Bible gives a few tips as to what they need:
- Physical affection. Not just sex, but a tender touch-a few hugs all through the day.
- Security. A wife desires a sense of security, physically, financially and emotionally.
- Understanding. This means listening more than telling her what to do.
- To think she’s beautiful. She needs reassurance in a society of constant comparison.
- Spiritual leadership. Not dictatorships, but servant leadership, like Christ for His church.
These are what a wife needs most from her husband.