Let me clear up a big misunderstanding among evangelical Christians. Many believe that when you become a Christian your main calling is to reach people for Christ. No, that is not the main calling. The main calling when you become a Christian is to follow Jesus. It’s a calling to a relationship. Your first priority is to submit your life to Jesus Chris and to His authority. In that process of following Him, He will teach you what He wants you to do, which is to reach people for Jesus Christ. But don’t get it backwards! It begins with a focus on the relationship.
How do we build that relationship? We have to make some decisions:
- Is Jesus trustworthy? Is He dependable to follow? When you understand what Christ has done – taking the initiative to reach out to us, dying on the cross for us – you will certainly see that He is trustworthy and dependable.
- Does He know where He’s going and how to get there? Yes. He’s the only route to heaven.
- It means leaving a life you are familiar with and moving into the unknown. It’s moving from your comfort zone and being willing to go with Him, wherever He leads.
- And you’ve got to stay with Him. You’ve got to stay close to Him.
- You’ve got to stay focused on Him. And you’ve got to be willing to go at His pace in fulfilling God’s will for your life.
Christian, your first priority is to follow Jesus.