People often ask me questions about prayer. Jesus’ disciples asked Him how to pray, for they saw that He often got away to pray. Here is a summary of what Jesus said to do:
- Address God as Father. Through Jesus, we can know God personally as our Father – the embodiment of the ideal dad.
- Praise. Praise His name and character traits. It makes our problems seem small when we remember how great God is.
- Pray for His will to be done. This begins with us, but carries over to praying for others.
- Pray for daily needs. God wants to meet our needs, but don’t confuse needs and wants.
- Confess your sins. Ask God’s forgiveness and ask God’s help in forgiving others who wrong you.
- Ask for protection and strength in the face of temptation and evil.
Jesus teaches the basics on prayer. Find a quiet spot and give it a try. And, remember, prayer life gets better with practice.