When God’s Word says of marriage, “A man shall leave his father and mother and cleave to his wife,” the word cleave means to “join together,” “to glue,” or “to cement.” This implies that there will always be pressures on the marriage to pull apart.
* Busyness that leaves little quality time.
* Work can become all-consuming.
* Demands of children. Children are a blessing and we feel so responsible, but our spouse is to come first.
* Money, how it’s earned, saved, consumed, or wasted. It can become an idol and put before our spouse.
* Health problems. This is the reason wedding vows include “in sickness and in health.”nn* Infidelity. This is the big one. This one can be devastating.
Yet when a husband and wife commit to cleave, no matter what, and look to God for strength and help, a marriage can withstand any pressure that seeks to pull it apart.