It’s obvious that in America today, marriage is no longer held in honor. Divorce became acceptable long ago. Now America is accepting yet another taboo–adultery. Though adultery doesn’t seem to matter to many, it still matters to God. His word says, “Let marriage be held in honor among all.”
In that light, let me suggest a few thoughts on preventing adultery:
* Adultery doesn’t begin with sexual intercourse. It begins when you make an emotional connection with a person who is not your spouse. Ask yourself, “Would I want my spouse to see me interacting with this person this way?”
* Seek to stay out of vulnerable situations where the temptation to be unfaithful increases.
* Stay in close communication with your spouse. Adultery always involves lies.
* Remember that true love equals commitment to your spouse.
* Seek to please God most of all.
When we seek to please God first, we just don’t have to worry about adultery. But when we seek to please self, we always do.